Friday, October 16, 2009

Arca to Santiago - 20 km -- We arrive!

Thursday, October 15

We get up early knowing that my limp will make us go slow into Santiago.

My ankle actually feels better and we start off after our ususal breakfast -- sunny, warm day -- aabout 8:30 am.

All is well for the first few km -- then my ankle seems to really give out. Not even having the staff seems to make a difference and I am already full of anti-inflammatory drugs.So we stop at a small cafe and I ice my ankle for a time- That seems to help immensely.

The rest of the way is better -- we go through a series of small villages.

We make it to Lavacolla where medieval pilgrims would wash in the river -- symbolic cleansing. And we both wash our hands in the water.

Then we make the ascent to Monte de Gozo -- Mount of Joy -- now we are actually close to the city. This used to be where pilgrims would first view the church spires -- now obscured by high rises.

We stop at Monte de Gozo then on into Santiago.

We go first to the plaza in front of the church to meet Carman and Alberto -- we meet them -- hugs all round with them and other pilgrims we know. Then into the church to give thanks, hug the statue of Santiago above the altar, visit his crypt, then off to get our compostella!

Tomorrow we will go to the noon Pilgrim´s Mass.

We get in line and get our document in Latin after the clerk reviews our passport and stamps.

Then I leave my staff with all the others inside the compostella building and we go back out to the church.

We have arrived after 11 days -- after seeing beautiful country, making wonderful friends, and walking further than I have ever walked in my life.

More tomorrow! Gracias a Dios -- buen camino a todos!

2 comments: