Saturday, October 3, 2009

En route to Madrid

We are at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam waiting for our connecting flight to Madrid - it's a very easy airport. There is a very elegant laptop lane here - and the price is not bad -- 3 euros for 15 minutes.

The flight from Anchorage to Seattle was quick, and although we volunteered to be bumped to the next flight from Seattle to Amsterdam, we did not make the cut. Northwest was offering $750 per person which would have been quite a windfall!

Soon after our arrival at Schiphol we looked to make an earlier flight to Madrid -- and saw a group of older backpackers with walking sticks -- Swedes going to the Camino! The flight was full so we visited the great bookstore here with a wonderful sample of books in English -- many titles from the UK.

The last time I was in Amsterdam I was 10 years old -- my father was stationed in Germany and we were living in Germany. Before transferring back to the States we took a great European roadtrip and Amsterdam was a memorable spot. To celebrate my return I had a delicious apple cake and hot chocolate -- the cake tasted just as I remembered it! Ah, Proust had his madeleines and I my apple cake. I know my sister will recall the apple cake, too!

Next stop Madrid -- hasta luego!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Barb, what a wonderful trip already! I wonder if I will EVER be able to do something like that. I was hoping Madrid would get the Olympics. Please keep updating as much as you can, I will visit Spain vicariously if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to the above comment. You have a wonderful way of making us feel like we are there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete