Friday, October 16, 2009

Arzua to Arca -- about 20km -- still limping on the Camino

Wednesday, Oct 14

Dinner last night at the albergue with Carmen, Alberto, Adriano, and Susanna was great -- lentils and carrots, salad, wine, and yogurt with chocolate bits!

My ankle felt much better after icing.

This morning I am still limping, but able to walk.

I am walking through the pain and hoping I don´t do more damage -- but it is certainly bearable. John is worried about how slow we will be, but we seem to be doing okay after getting a palo for me.

John had looked for a staff -- he said he found some brooms at a hardware store and perhaps I could use a broom to help me. I gasped! But Carmen´s staff had certainly been a help when I used it before.

As we started off I was so slow, John and I talked again and walked back into town to see if we could find a staff. No one seems to be selling them this far along on the Carmino. Then he suggeste the hardware store again -- he said we could take the handle of a broom or rake and use it. Luckily we found a store that sold handles separately so 5 euros I had a staff which I wrapped with a stick ace bandage to help with the grip.

The day went slowly but we finally made it into Rua just before Arca where there was very nice hotel we hoped to stay in -- lovely village -- the hotel was completo. The pensione there did not look great, so we walked 2 more km to Arzua itself. There we did find a nice room -- the only drawback was the mosquitoes all night long.

Not too many downhills today which was good -- made walking easier. Mostly on the dirt trails through groves and villages. People we know on the Camino pass by and ask how my ankle is doing. Strangers on the Camino also see me limping and keeping telling me, It´s only a little farther!

We ate dinner with Carmen and the gang in the restaurant which turned out to be a comedy of errors iwth ordering -- first time that has happened. We kept getting tuna in whatever we ordered.

The hostal had an internet link so I could update the blog -- I hate getting behind.

And after taking more anti-inflammatory meds my ankle was doing ok -- the ace bandage wrap really helped.

Weather has still be clear and warm!

We leave Arca in the morning for Santiago! It´s getting near!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to make it through the day--God bless anti-inflammatory drugs (and hardware stores that sell handles).

    ReplyDelete