Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Palas do Rei to Arzua - 29 k - limping on the Camino

Tuesday, October 13

We knew this would be a long day. And it is suddenly much warmer. We started out early -- stopped at a cafe run by two Germans in a small village for an omelette about 11 am.

There are about 20 German pilgrims stopping with us. A group from all over Germany -- very nice people. We also ran into a Carmelite monk from Cracow!

Had some cidre -- 4 per cent hard cider yesterday -- very tasty!

It really got hot in the afternoon -- then it happened.

Suddenly my left ankle ached and I could hardly walk. I did not twist it -- but we had been doing about 5km per hour and perhaps I stressed it.

We stopped so I could rest at a cafe -- the ankle was very swollen. We tried to stay at a pensione in a small village, bu they were full. So we went on .

John took my pack and carried it sherpa style on his head while I very, very slowly walked the Camino. Luckily Alberto and Carmen appeared -- we thought they were way ahead of us but they had stopped for a long lunch of pulpo -- octopus. Carmen gave me her palo -- staff -- and we all made it into Arzua.

We joined them for dinner at the albergue -- after I had iced my ankle and John had found a pharmacy with an ace bandage and other first aid items for all my blisters.

I am very worried about tomorrow. But at least it is a shorter day -- only about 12 miles.

Susanna - a doctor from Tarife -- tells me to eat a lot of lentils- They will help heal me!

2 comments:

  1. Weird, I twisted my ankle this week and am now limping around the library. Maybe I am channeling your pilgrim spirit? Buena suerte con su pie! Besitos de parte de Kristi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Barbara--how awful to have such a thng happen. I'm getting caught up on your trip now so I will have to find out what happens the next day.

    ReplyDelete